Saturday, May 8, 2010

Handmade Colonial Candle Holders from an unusual source!

So last year when I was buying all kinds of stain for my deck at Home Depot, I stumbled upon these larger (sturdier) paint sticks. I love the notched top that looks so colonial! I thought....hmmm these would make awesome candlestick holders........so I tried it recently...... here are a few beginning steps:


These sticks are 20 1/2 inches long and fairly thick...I cut 2 inches off of the bottom with my scroll saw, sanded and stapled them on with a nail gun horizontally (for the candle cup "shelf"). I then used E6000 glue to attach the candle cup onto the "shelf". This glue is found in any of the craft stores, dries rather quickly and bonds almost anything! (you don't need  much of this glue either)....must use in a well ventilated area (outside) as it has strong fumes....



Here's the candle cup attached to the "shelf" unfinished....Don't you love my new Vera Bradley Hipster bag that the candle holder is resting on?? I do!!



I am very happy with how it turned out so far. I have to figure out what type of design to put on the front of the candle holder....maybe stars and vines or glue rusty stars on them or just prim with sanding/staining and leave them plain.... I painted pairs of black, rust and country red so far......What do you think of my colonial country candle holder?
So when you're out and about at garage sales or Home Depot remember to look at what it could be instead of what it is or should be.....
Happy Crafting!
Patti

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could see "what it could be instead of what it is"!!!! Great job. Now, what are those other things in the pic with the stars???
    Lois
    lois_ling@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhh... great idea! I would sand and stain them, but I do that to everything I touch. Lol! Rustic stars and hearts would look good also. Very neat, girl! Love it~

    ReplyDelete

Raspberry seedlings said...