Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Darling Ditty Bag Tutorial

Here's something I dreamed up recently and made today. It's just the cutest Sweet Annie Tealight Ditty Bag for a prim home!  Feel free to make these for your home, friends or shows. Let em' know that I was the designer. I'd love to see your versions of this piece. Enjoy!

Step 1: Gather stamp supplies and a scrap of muslin (approx 3 1/2 X 3 inches), Fray all four edges. I used coffee dyed muslin for the ditty label then stamped the sweet annie image with light green in the background. I stamped a darker green then lightly with black ink in the foreground. I stamped the words "Sweet Annie" using sepia ink. Sorry forgot to take pics of each stamped procedure. You may use what ever stamps that you have on hand or hand stitch something.


Here's the finished label....I just love how olde and prim it came out!! I've had this evergreen stamp for many years and never used it, until today. I think it's supposed to be a fern but in my mind it looks like sweet annie....don't you think? (found it at Joann's, I believe). Sorry about the slight blurriness, using that macro feature sometimes doesn't work for me even though it supposed to be for very close up pics...hmmm.


Step 2: Cut out a piece of fabric (approx 5x7 inch, with the fold on the bottom). Turn right sides together and sew each side with a straight stitch. I did not coffee dye the bag but you may. I have other scents coming from the stamped label and the cinnamon rosehips (later in the tut).



You can make a boxed bottom for sitting, or an angled bottom by stitching the bottom corners on the diagonal then clipping them. I prefer the angled look for this project. See the pics below.  Now fold the top hem over twice (approx 1/2 inch each time) then stitch close to the edge, leaving a small 1/4 to 1/2 inch opening on one side to snake a 20 inch piece of jute through. Tie the jute to a small safety pin to get it through the hem. Turn right side out. Make a knot on each end of the jute so it doesn't fray. You may leave the jute outside of the bag (for hanging) or tuck it inside if desired, for a sitting piece.

Angled bottom:
                                                                   


Boxed bottom:

finished boxed bottom:


Position your newly stamped label where desired.  Try not to position the label on the top hem though if you want to gather it up a bit.

 

Now stitch around your newly stamped label with 3 ply floss of your color choice, with a running stitch. You do not have to be exactly straight with this stitch...afterall it is a prim piece!



Next, I baked cinnamon scent rosehips and placed them in a small snack size lunch bag and added them to the bottom (about 1/2 cup or less). I left the bag open for maximum scent. You can add whatever you have on hand to weight the bottom down....rice, fishtank pebbles or little stones from the craft store or from around your house.


I then added some fiberfill on top of the rosehips almost all the way to the top.



Almost complete....


Next add some spanish moss, tuck some tied sweet annie towards the back and add a tealight of your choice. I primmed a plain white one up with burnt umber brown paint and sealed it. Add a rusty bell and safety pin to the front and whalla....you've just make yourself a sweet prim tealight ditty bag!

Here's the sitting one:



Or you can hang it on a peg or to the side of an olde shutter like I did! I personally like the hanging ditty myself!


If you have a ton of stamps like I do, you'll love making these bags for different holidays, themes and seasons! Hope you enjoyed this Ditty Bag Tut. PS...this is WAY cuter in person! Any questions, please email me! Patti

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Boy does it have endless possibilities! Thanks..
    Tisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Prim Ditty Bag!!
    Thanks so much for takin' the time to write a tut for it...I'll def. be trying it.
    Huggers!
    Darla
    The Prim Patch

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEAR PATTI,
    WHAT A LOVELY BLOG YOU HAVE.
    I HAVE TAKEN MY TIME LOOKING AT YOUR AWESOME, GENEROUS POSTS.
    I LOVE YOUR DARLING DITTY BUT I DON'T SEW. I DON'T EVEN OWN A SEWING MACHINE BUT IT IS ON MY LIST.
    I JOINED YOUR BLOG AS YOU ARE AN AWESOME TEACHER AND I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW YOU.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great Patti,I luv your m.j. song too!have a great day sweetie.blessings michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag!! I am doing a giveaway soon and I am going to make one of these, I love that it stands or hangs. Too cute!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute ditty bag and wonderful instructions. I just wish my project list wasn't miles long already, I'd add this to it. Just not enough time in a day, you know it?!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We design and hands build the sea bags and ditty bags for the ship crew.

    ReplyDelete

Raspberry seedlings said...