Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rhubarb Lemon Balm Tea Bread...

Well my nursing colleague, Cathy brought this bread in for our LAST nursing meeting of the semester last week and....I instantly fell in love with it....I also have such an abundance of rhubarb that I was needing another way to use it up....besides giving it to our neighbors...fresh from the garden.....

This is the BEST bread that you'll ever taste....even if you push your nose up at rhubarb...honestly try it just once and you'll be hooked...just the right amount of tartness mixed in with all that bread sweetness!....oh yeah...all of us faculty swapped perennials too-I have a TON of lemon balm herb growing like mad over here from one small plant that I put in a couple of years ago...low and behold this recipe calls for my lemon balm...woo hoo....if you've never grown it-its wonderful...just rub the leaves and you get a lemony scent...you can us it in salsa, salads and sauces too....and I think it keeps the deer flies away too!
ready, set, go....Here it is: drumroll***$%#&^^%$#@@#$$%^&(()())*@#$$%#

Rhubarb Lemon Balm Tea Bread:

1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I will use canola)
1 cup buttermilk (I get the low fat)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chopped uncooked fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh lemon balm
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature

preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease 9x5 inch loaf pan. Line bottom and sides with wax paper (I don't think I will do this)
In large bowl combine brown sugar and oil, beat well. In a small bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add to borwn sugar mixture. Blemnd thoroughly. Combine baking soda, salt and flour. Gradually stir into brown mixture. Fold in rhubarb. Transfer batter to prepared bread pan.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, lemon balm, lemon zest and butter. Sprinkle mixture over batter. Bake for 50-60 mnutes or until a tester inserted in the cente rof the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. turn out onto racks, Remove wax paper when loaf is coll.

Cathy also brought in this book on herbal growing and cooking which has this recipe:
Kitchen Herbs by Sal Gilberti


here's the link to Amazon where used copies of this start at 10 cents...my friend bought one for 12 cents last week...I'm heading on over to Amazon to buy one right now. I bought my copy tonight for .99 (very good condition) I'm weird about books...they must be in great shape!! :)....shipping is about $3.99 not a bad deal for such a great herb book....here's the editorial exerpt:

More than a cookbook, this volume is unique in its 90-plus pages of detailed growing information about 34 herbs. Starting with soil preparation, Gilbertie, owner of the largest herb farm in the United States, gives specific instructions for planting, watering, feeding, controlling pests, harvesting, and preserving culinary herbs. There are suggestions for gardens specializing in edible flowers, as well as for Italian, fish, dessert, salad, and salt-substitute herbs. The rest of the book presents innumerable ideas for cooking with each herb, including about 125 unusual but fairly simple recipes by Frances Towner Giedt. Lavishly illustrated with photographs by Joseph Kugielsky, this book is attractive and useful. Terry M. Cole, Harrisville Central Sch. Lib., N.Y.


Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc.

The first one to respond to this posting with interest will get a surprise in the mail from me...some lemon balm to make your own and maybe even a small rooted piece...must be a US resident (within the continental USA please).
 
Above pic taken from http://www.321delic.com/  (similar but not exact to this recipe)...lemon balm topping is missing...just wanted to give you all a visual.... :)

7 comments:

  1. sounds delish!
    Thanks for recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy ! Need to add lemon balm to my garden.Thanks for sharing the recipe. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like I just might have to try it...I'm not a huge rhubarb fan, but...gosh dang it sounds good. Now I'll have to search out some lemon balm (THAT sounds yummy!) Thanks much for sharing! Smiles ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMM sounds yummy. Looks great. I grow lemon balm every year. Smells so great. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti,
    I have never tried rhubarb. At our old farm the little lady who lived at the end of the lane always grew some in her front yard. She would offer me some and I never took her up on it. I wasn't sure what it tasted like, besides
    You see, our dog used to go down to her house and water her rhubarb. I think that is why she offered it to me. I do love herbs of any kind especially lemon balm. I will have to try the rub on my hands. When I mow down close to the woods the deer flies bite my hands and I have to wear gloves. Great tip.
    Have a nice day
    Tamera
    Country at heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of lemon balm so I will have to see if I can find some around here in my neck of the woods. Also, not a fan of rhubarb, but this bread does sound really good. Thanks Patti for the recipe.
    ~Rene~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Thank you for posting my giveaway on your sidebar...Did you follow my blogs? I was looking for you and didn't see you yet...Once I see that, you can send me your address as you are one of the first 10 to sign up...Laura

    ReplyDelete

Raspberry seedlings said...