Thursday, July 28, 2011

An Antique Beauty....

Look what I found today while antiquing with my BFF in Middleport......an awesome find! I've always wanted one of these but I've never seen one quite like this before....an antique cabinet Singer sewing machine...with treadle that was converted to electric....SWEEEEET!! I'm just in heaven. Its in really great shape, the shop owner told me it was from the early 1900's  (just looked it up; it's a G series from 1915)....was probably about $500 way back then.....I've already found a spot for it! Solid oak...its very heavy but has wheels to move it....Now take a look at it:



All 5 drawers on the left open nicely and are in fabulous shape. There are bobbins and machine parts too.
No book though.

The top opens up  and the sewing machine is hidden below until you press a button on the front and up it pops! The only things needing slight repair are the left top handle....I'm gonna make a clay mold and try to make a silicone replacement with black & brown acrylics then glue it on....if anyone has any other ideas of how to restore the wooden embossed knob, let me know!! The bottom lower molding needs to be reglued on the right side...no biggie! I'm still in heaven!!

Here's a detailed view of the drawers and molding. Click on the pic for a better view......I looooove it!

Here's a close up of the Sewing machine. I've only seen the black ones with gold and NEVER any red decals...look at how beautiful it is!!! I don't want to use it to sew but for decorative display...click on the pic to get a better view.....Now for the final news...guess what I paid for it...my friend and I were waiting to hear maybe $250-$350 or so but the shop owner says quietly........$100.00 !! My friend says "I saw this back in April but my husband would have killed me if I came home with another one". "I have two already, but this is way nicer than mine"!
I know that once they've been updated to electric that they aren't as valuable but I DON'T CARE....I LOVE IT AND ITS ALL MINE!! I am one happy antiquer today.....What did you all find?


18 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW! You are a lucky antiquing queen. I love this. That is so beautiful. I am like you I would want it just to look at. :O)
    At such a great deal makes it even better. Where are you going to put it? If you don't have space let me know.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow oh wow, you lucky duck! That cabinet
    is just awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Patti - that truly is a beauty!!! Gorgeous!! I've seen lots of Singers in cabinets - but never a cabinet quite like that!! You scored Girlfriend!! (And, oh my - I don't look so good all green with envy like this!!) ;o) Enjoy!! Happy Friday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty, your find is awesome. The cabinet and sewing machine are beautiful!!! Hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patty,,, your friend Jenny Matlock sent me over to tell you I saw her sweet Garden Angels... and I'd love to win those little carrots!
    Very nice site and I'll be back to read more...
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely site! I just found you through Jenny Matlock and I wanted to say that I am your newest follower. Your thoughtfulness was really very sweet! The garden angels are so cute! I love the way you personalized each one for Jenny's grandlittle girls. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wandering over from my friend Jenny Matlock's Blog....the garden angels you made for her grands were adorable!!

    You are one lucky gal to have found this beautiful sewing machine!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! Fabulous piece Patti! I love the details on the cabinet and the Singer. Visiting from Jenny's blog - what a sweetheart you are! Your prims are SO cute - enjoyed shopping with you this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful!! And what a price!! Great find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. An absolutely beautiful piece of furniture!
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Patti, I echo all the above comments. You had to come home so excited. The sewing machone looks brand new, but the cabinet is to die for. Simply beautiful. I have never seen one that comes close to it. A great find. Have fun displaying with it. You will definitely have to show us how you are usng it. Have a great weekend
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Patti, she is a beauty and a Singer (the Best)! That cabinet is so pretty, I've never seen one quite like it...

    If you would like to date your machine, let me know, email me the model number, it should start with 2 letters...

    Great Find...

    Blessings, Traci

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful Patti! There should be a little gold colored plate on your machine with some letters & numbers on it. If you send an email to Singer they will tell you when it was made. Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Patti~

    What a beautiful piece you got!! Lucky girl!!

    Have a wonderful day~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful example.You did good for $100.Those cabinets are rare.I only ever seen one other like that and it was in bad shape and they still wanted $200.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great find! I am ashamed to say that my grandmother's sewing machine similar to that is sitting in my garage right now because I have no place to put it. Shameful!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Patti ! That is one beautiful piece. SO happy that you found it.Have a wonderful weekend,Jen

    ReplyDelete

Raspberry seedlings said...